- PAT Preparation books (The Key) are available for purchase for $18 each. Forms and money must be brought in by Friday May 4th. Alternatively, students with a Calgary Public Library account can access a free online version called Solaro through the e-Library tab. Instructions here: https://calgarylibrary.ca/faq/online-resources/#solaro
- Crescent Heights High Schoo is offering a Math 10-C course from August 16th to 29th. Information and Forms can be found HERE.
Your Chapter 8 unit test on social programs and taxation will be on Tuesday May 29th. Use the following vocabulary and guiding questions to help you study.
2. Black market:
3. Goods and services Tax:
5. Income Tax:
8. Private Health Care:
10. Public Health Care:
11. Tax Base:
12. tax Evasion:
13. Sales Tax:
14. Taxation Model:
15. Underground Economy:
1) What are social programs? List 5 examples
2) How are social programs provided for?
3) What is the aim/goal of social programs?
4) What is a pension? Is it considered to be a social program in Canada? In the US?
5) Explain the five parts of the Canada Health Act.
6) Give two advantages and two disadvantages of health care being a social program.
7) What kinds of taxes do we pay? Who do we pay them to?
8) As a grade 9 student, what taxes do you pay?
9) What are three main areas the federal government spends our taxes?
10) What is Tax Evasion? Why is it illegal?
11) What is the black market?
12) How does the black market affect the quality of life of Canadians?
Notes from class regarding health care in Canada.
Health Drug Presentation Requirements
•Create a mini-presentation (2-3 slides) on your group’s assigned drug/category of drug. Include:
–Name of Drug
•Include “street” name of the drug
–Visual description (pictures)
–Short term effects of the drug
–Long term effects of the drug
•You must have one additional slide with your sources
When you are done please visit the following site:
Sources are below:
Source 1: http://nationalpost.com/health/how-much-does-the-average-canadian-pay-for-public-health
Source 4: Textbook chapter 8 page 276 "Private Health Care Still Best: President"
Source 5: Textbook chapter 8 page 276 "Canadian Health Care Needs Innovation: Government"
Source 6: Textbook chapter 8 page 277 "The trouble with public health care"
Source 7: Textbook chapter 8 page 277 "Profit is not the cure-advocacy groups"
Source 8: Political Cartoon
Circles Unit Test is tomorrow. Please see the following additional practice problems. The answer key is at the bottom of the document.
If you were away for track today be sure to complete the following:
Click on the following link for a review of Static Electricity
Complete Practice-Exploring Angles in a Circle (day 2)
Define the following terms in your own words. Due tomorrow.
Textbook link in post below.
9E: Complete the following Google form on the design challenge
Based on the film and what we have discussed in class, 1) identify ONE behavior or activity in your life that contributes to global warming. 2) Explain how this behavior contributes to global warming (use specific vocabulary terms by naming greenhouse gases). 3) Propose one feasible solution for how you might modify or reduce your activity to minimize your impact on the environment.
Your answer must be at least one typewritten page that is double-spaced and in 12 point font. Please print out your responses AND attach to this worksheet. OR answer in the following link using flip grid.